Sunday, February 21, 2010

What knowledge have you connected with past knowledge?

As we learned from the first post, biochemistry is a multidisciplinary view of the molecular nature of life. This class has overlapped with the information presented in several classes that I have attended in the past. Biology presented the cellular structure and function of plants and animals. General chemistry provided a view of the interactions of individual molecules to create larger molecules. Organic chemistry presented carbon bonded functional groups and their interactions. All of these concepts have been revisited in our initial studies of biochemistry.

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog entry Stacy. I wish I had read your entry for this blog assignment prior to completing my own entry. I thought about how to answer this question in many different ways. I started an entry and then erased it and started over again and then erased it again. I do agree with you that it does tie together all of the previous science classes I have taken: biology, chemistry, zoology, organic chemistry, anatomy & physiology, microbiology, and nutrition. It feels good to have a basic understanding of the basic concepts, gained from previous science courses, that are expanded on in biochemistry. I could not have imagined back when I graduated from high school in 1985 that I would be able to extract and analyze my own DNA in a college science course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think Stacy summed it up very nicely. I am glad that I have the background that I do for this class. I think it would be much more difficult to go into this class without having taken Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, General and Organic Chemistry, and I am even glad I am taking genetics at the same time as this class. It is nice to see that others feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that biochemistry has built upon knowledge learned from biology and general chemistry. Its funny how many of the topics that were learned in biology and chemistry come rushing back once I was reintroduced to them in biochemistry. I have not taken organic chemistry and I do not feel like I am missing any knowledge that I would need for the class. Perhaps that opinion will change the further we go into the semester.

    ReplyDelete